Tunnel of Fudge Cake
Note: do not use a cake tester, toothpick or skewer to test the cake — the fudgy interior won’t give an accurate reading. Instead, remove the cake from the oven when the sides just begin to pull away from the pan and the surface of the cake springs back when pressed gently with your finger.
¾ cup Dutch Processed cocoa powder, plus extra for the pan
½ cup boiling water
2 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped finely
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups pecans or walnuts ( I used walnuts)
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp salt
5 large eggs (AT ROOM TEMPERATURE)
1 TB vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup light brown sugar
2 ½ sticks of butter, softened
¾ cup heavy cream
¼ cup light corn syrup
8 oz bittersweet chocolate
½ tsp vanilla extract
1. For the Cake: Adjust an oven rack to the lower middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 cup Bundt Pan and dust with cocoa powder. Pour the boiling water over the chocolate in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Whisk the cocoa, flour nuts, confectioners’ sugar and the salt in a large bowl. Beat the eggs and vanilla in a large measuring cup.
2. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the granulated sugar, brown sugar and the butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. On low speed, add the egg mixture until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the chocolate mixture and beat until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Beat in the flour mixture until just combined, about 30 seconds.
3. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the batter, and bake until the edges are beginning to pull away from the pan, about 45 minutes. Cool upright in the pan on a wire rack for 1 ½ hours, then invert onto a serving plate and cool completely, at least 2 hours.
4. For The Glaze: Cook the cream, corn syrup, and the chocolate in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and set aside until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and let set for at least 10 minutes.
5. Serve ( The cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 2 days)