Macadamia Nut Coconut Lemon Bars Recipe
For the crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
For the filling:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup coconut
For sprinkling on top:
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Position an oven rack in the middle of your oven and preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Line a 13×9-inch baking pan with foil that extends beyond the edges of the pan on at least two sides. (This will allow you to remove the slab of lemon bars from the pan so you can cut them evenly and make cleanup a lot easier.) Lightly spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make the crust pulse the flour, sugar, nuts, and salt in your food processor to combine. (Alternatively, whisk together in a large bowl.)
- Add the cold butter and pulse until the dough comes together in a ball. (Alternatively use a pastry blender until the dough comes together.)
- Dump the dough into your prepared pan and press evenly into the bottom and 1-inch up the sides.
- If the dough seems real soft pop the pan into the freezer for 15 minutes before baking. Otherwise place the crust in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- While the crust bakes, prepare your filling.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar until smooth.
- Add the flour and whisk until blended and smooth.
- Add the lemon juice and whisk until well combined.
- Stir in the coconut with a wooden spoon until it is well blended.
- Once the crust is golden, remove it from the oven and place it on a trivet or wire rack.
- Reduce your oven temperature to 325F degrees.
- Pour the prepared lemon mixture over the crust and bake for 30 minutes more or until filling is set and the bars are lightly golden.
- Remove pan from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove the slab of lemon bars from the pan using the “foil handles.”
- Peel away the foil.
- Cut into desired size and shape macadamia nut lemon bars.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar just before serving.
You can store your lemon bars at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for 5 days.